Details about the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® label
The STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® label can be issued for textile products from all stages of production (yarns, fabrics, dyed or finished materials, accessories) as well as for all kinds of sales articles such as baby textiles, garments, home textiles or furnishings for decorative purposes.
Pre-requisites for awarding the label
Product certification according to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® is only possible if all components of an end product comply with the required criteria – that means accessory parts such as buttons, zips, interlinings, hook-and-loop fasteners etc. in addition to the outer material and the sewing threads, or prints and coatings.
STANDARD 100 test criteria
Since its introduction in 1992, the central focus of the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® has been the development of test criteria, limit values and test methods on a scientific basis. On the basis of its comprehensive and strict catalogue of measures, with several hundred regulated individual substances, the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® takes account of:
- Important legal regulations, such as banned Azo colourants, formaldehyde, pentachlorophenol, cadmium, nickel, etc.
- Numerous harmful chemicals, even if they are not yet legally regulated.
- Requirements of Annexes XVII and XIV of the European Chemicals Regulation REACh as well as of the ECHA SVHC Candidate List insofar as they are assessed by expert groups of the OEKO-TEX® Association to be relevant for fabrics, textiles, garments or accessories. Discussions and developments that are considered to be relevant are taken into account as quickly and effectively as possible through updates to the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® requirements.
- Requirements from the US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) regarding lead.
- Numerous also environmentally relevant substance classes
With its decades of experience, the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® therefore contributes to high and effective product safety from a consumer’s point of view. Test criteria and limit values in many cases go far beyond applicable national and international standards. Extensive product checks and regular company audits also ensure that the industry has a globally sustainable awareness of the responsible use of chemicals. With this concept, the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® has taken on a pioneering role for many years.