Babies and infants still have very sensitive skin where the usual protective mechanisms have not yet fully developed. It is therefore subjected to outside influences more strongly and requires special care and protection. First of all, baby clothing should be made of soft materials, be comfortable to wear and easy to care for. Baby items certified according to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® additionally ensure the exclusion of harmful ingredients. They offer protection against:
- allergenic or carcinogenic dyestuffs
- finishes containing formaldehyde
- heavy metals such as nickel in metal buttons
- prohibited plasticizers, e.g. in plastic coatings on non-slip socks
- They also feature good colour fastness because babies take everything into their mouths and suck on it.
Baby clothing, baby items as well as textile toys have to meet the most stringent requirements of product class I of STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®. The test and verification methods also focus on pronounced resistance to saliva as an additional requirement for certification. This is achieved through special simulation tests using artificial saliva solution.